Best Treatment for Dandruff at Home You Should Follow
Dandruff, also known as seborrhea dermatitis, is a common scalp disorder plaguing millions of people globally.
It’s a type of skin inflammation that causes itching of the scalp of head, causing dead cells of the scalp to fall in the form of flakes.
It is typically rare before teenage and mostly happens from mid-twenties and gradually decreases with as the age passes on.
The problem about dandruff symptoms is that they tend to worsen during winters and fluctuate with different seasons.
The dryness of the scalp tends to exacerbate during winters, forming lot of flake formation.
- White, oily looking flakes appear on your hair and spread like dots.
- Flakes of dead cells fall on the shoulders, clothes or all around the ears or nose.
- A very itchy scalp with oily flakes is major among hair dandruff causes.
- The head feels sore due to inflammation
Dandruff Control Remedies:
Dandruff control is a slightly difficult task because of the sheer number of factors involved in making matters worse.
However, following some simple techniques and best solutions for dandruff at home by making use of easily accessible natural resources will certainly show you good results, if you are able to sustain the efforts.
1. Baking soda:
As a mild exfoliate, baking soda helps in absorbing excess oil and removing dead cells. Thus it reduces the dandruff-causing fungi itself, also acting as a ph balancer.
Now you will know how to get rid of dandruff at home using some really simple steps that matter.
- Rub a fistful of baking soda on the scalp after wetting the hair.
- After this, wash your hair with warm water.
- Repeat it twice a week for about two weeks.
However, it’s recommended not to shampoo after the treatment.
2. Olive oil
Known as natural moisturizer, extra-virgin olive oil, if applied regularly, can become one the best natural remedies for dry scalp and dandruff cure scalp.
The steps are as follows:
- Heat the oil till it’s warm.
- Massage it on the scalp and tie with a warm towel.
- Leave it overnight, then wash and condition it.
- Repeat for few weeks.
3. Indian lilac:
Along with dandruff therapy, this treatment can cure the problem of scalp acne, itchy scalp and hair fall effectively.
Commonly known as neem, it has properties of antifungal and antibacterial.
- Boil four cups of water with a handful of neem leaves.
- Cool and strain the solution.
- Use this decoction for hair rinse at least for two to three weeks.
4. Coconut oil:
Possesses antifungal properties and removes dryness by moisturizing the scalp while decreasing the itching.
It acts as natural remedy for dry scalp and helps as one of effective dandruff treatments at home.
- Some coconut oil mixed with half lemon juice.
- Massage on to the scalp.
- Wash your hair after 20 minutes.
Follow the steps for 2 to 3 weeks.
Many more home remedies to control the dandruff exist like using vinegar i.e. white vinegar and apple cider vinegar are one of the best home remedies for the severe dandruff problem.
Vinegar has acetic acid that prevents the growth of fungi and relieves itching.
- Add half cup of vinegar to two cups of water
- After shampooing, rinse your hair with this mixture.
- Follow them once or twice a week.
Hair Treatments at Home for Damaged Hair:
Harsh texture, split ends, breakage and itchy scalp are associating problems of dandruff, which causes extensive hair damage.
The outer layer of hair is the cuticle which, when damaged, will lead to loss of shine and luster.
Use of harsh soaps or alcohols, excessive styling, exposure to UV, use of chemical treatments, lack of moisture and ultimately dandruff causes the damage to your hair. Here are some home remedies for damaged hair.
Enzymes in the egg white helps in cleansing your hair and scalp, and along with the high protein and nutritional factors of an egg, contribute towards bringing back shine to your hair and itchy scalp treatment.
- Massage one whisked egg solution on to your scalp.
- Cover it and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water and shampoo it.
2. Olive oil:
It is an excellent solution among dry scalp and dandruff remedies for damaged hair and has several antioxidants and vitamin E rich olive oil that heal the damaged cuticle.
The steps are as follows:
- Warm the olive oil.
- Massage it gently for a few minutes.
- Cover with warm towel and leave for 30 minutes.
- Finally shampoo and condition your hair.
- Repeat it once in a week.
High in potassium and fortifying vitamins/natural oils, the tasty fruit helps the hair to soften and retain its elasticity.
These are the steps:
- Take One ripe banana.
- Massage it through the hair.
- Keep it for one hour.
- Then rinse off with warm water.
Other Dandruff Natural Cure for Damaged Hair Include:
- Applying Aloe Vera juice on to the hair directly has a soothing effect and great treatments for severe dandruff. Similarly, Avocado mixed one spoon for olive oil will keep your hair hydrated and flexible.
- Coconut oil is again a good moisturizer and goes deep in to the hair shaft by regulating the cuticle damage. Warm oil can be applied overnight and washed off in the morning to bring back your treasure shine and luster.
What Shampoo is Best for Dandruff?
While it is tempting to buy a good shampoo for dandruff that claims to do its job effectively, you may want to be a little more discerning and do some background research.
The best shampoo is how to care for dandruff by
- Tackles dandruff.
- Moisturizes and nourishes your hair.
You may want to avoid using a clarifying shampoo as it accentuates the symptoms of itching of the scalp.
Look for shampoos with:
- Better sulphates
- Natural ingredients
- Acidic ingredients
Home Remedies for Severe Dandruff
Getting rid of dandruff is a physiological and psychological problem of any individual.
Many factors impact its occurrence but a steady medication along with proper and diligent care at home using natural remedies will help you fight these irradiating itchy scalps and tells us what works best for dandruff.
While some home remedies help with most case of moderate dandruff problems, a more severe case of dandruff with a worsening scalp will necessitate a doctor’s advice, so watch out for any worsening signals without neglecting them.